DokkenLogorsz_gunners_upDogtralogorsz_ccc_new_callsrsz_asdlogorsz_sportdoglogologorsz_1dakota_decoysZinkcallsrsz_patternmaster_logorsz_drakewaterfowllogo
Team Chesapeake    TC: PEAKETALK    Main Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting Stories & Pictures    Antler Dogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antler Dogs Login/Join

None
Picture of Tim Whitney
posted
I train my Chessies to hunt for shed antlers... It's something else to do with the dogs during the winter and spring months when hunting seasons are closed. It give the dogs (and me!!) a lot of exercise as we cover a lot of ground. The dogs just love it....they love the training sessions just as much as they love hunting for shed antlers. Human eyes are no match for a Chessie's nose..... I find at least 3 times the number of shed antlers with my dogs than I did when I would go out alone and search. Here are a couple of photos I took during training sessions (Hope I can post a photo here)..

tjw

Posts: 46 | Location: Chinook, Montana, USA | Registered: Sat March 06 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had heard about people training other breeds to do this, but never a chessie.

May have to think about trying this out. How are they at finding antlers with deer attached. I really need more help at that! Wink

Great shot and a great new opportunity for our dogs.

Kevin Shaffer

Posts: 190 | Location: Milton, PA | Registered: Wed September 10 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
None
Picture of Tim Whitney
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, it's illegal to use a dog in Montana to track a wounded big game animal and I'll never admit to having done it Wink

Laws are funny....in Sweden it's my understanding that if you hunt big game (mostly moose there) you either have to have a dog that is certified in tracking when you hunt, or you have to have the name and phone number of a person you can contact who has a dog that is certified to track.. And here it's illegal???

tjw

Posts: 46 | Location: Chinook, Montana, USA | Registered: Sat March 06 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not serious about finding antlers with a deer attached. Seems like lately, now that they require shooting an 8pt or better in the area I hunt, only see baldies and 4pts....

They poachers are shooting all the nice stuff now.

I do like the idea of using dogs to find the sheds...

Kevin Shaffer

Posts: 190 | Location: Milton, PA | Registered: Wed September 10 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoAnn Stancer
posted Hide Post
What a great past time when nothing else is going on. Great exercise for you and your dogs. Great photo's thanks for sharing. I will have to see how my cousin is doing training his lab x pup to find sheds, that is what he got him for.

JoAnn Stancer
Sand Spring Chesapeakes
My Word Press Blog:
http://sandspringchesapeakes.wordpress.com/

Sand Spring Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/.../198137065742?v=wall

Never look back! That is not the direction you are going in!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Cambria, WI | Registered: Thu March 01 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoAnn Stancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crossfire Hurricane:
Shhhhhhhhh

Those sheds are worth a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$

There are those that pay top dollar just to grind them up into powder too.......

A pile of horns can fetch thousands ...not to mention that if you find a pair of matched drops or a skull with intact horns ...a person can apply to have them measured and if they are record making ...can have their name ..or dogs name in this case added to the Boone & Crocket Record Book.....

My manager at work asked me if I had any extra sheds laying around my house that they could sell at the clinic for dogs to chew on. Guess deer antlers are the new chewie. She is now buying them from a wholesale company. I told her no and couldn't believe she asked me for them!

JoAnn Stancer
Sand Spring Chesapeakes
My Word Press Blog:
http://sandspringchesapeakes.wordpress.com/

Sand Spring Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/.../198137065742?v=wall

Never look back! That is not the direction you are going in!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Cambria, WI | Registered: Thu March 01 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of POACHER
posted Hide Post
Do you train that by setting atlers out in field and haveing the dogs just hunt em up? maybe just a game of fetch at first? Thanks

Posts: 401 | Location: LI, NY | Registered: Sun March 15 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
None
Picture of Tim Whitney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crossfire Hurricane:
Chessies do not make good hog dogs ...they are too smart and usually try to grab the head ...they get hurt very easy.....you don't want to use them on deer either as they will get gored....tracking is the best ...but if you are serious I suggest using dogs that are smaller and very fast.....thick brush dogs work best.

The technique we use is to use strikers ...then send in the catch dogs...BTW...These are my dogs on a hog ......also that happens to be a knife in the guy's hand who is having a little ride before the kill...

Don't try this at home...

Laws work......

Smile Sticke

The breed of choice for tracking big game is the Wirehaired Dachshund, oddly enough. Other breeds are used, of course, but the Wirehaird Dachshund is what most people seem to prefer who are serious about their sport. There is an organization, "United Blood Trackers" that offers workshops on training dogs to track wounded game, has a testing program where dogs are certified as tracking dogs, etc.

tjw

None
Picture of Tim Whitney
posted Hide Post
Whoops, I tried to respond to this but must have done something wrong... At any rate, Wirehaired Dachshunds are the breed most used for tracking wounded game. Other breeds are used, of course, but the wirehaired dachshund is the breed preferred by most experienced trackers.

tjw

posted Hide Post
cool pics thanks for sharing.
This is pic of my pup Gracie's mom Haley with some of the sheds she has found.

Posts: 993 | Location: Gunpowder River MD. | Registered: Mon January 16 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
None
Picture of Tim Whitney
posted Hide Post
Now that right there is what I'm talking about!!! Those are some nice finds for sure. It's just so darn neat when you see your dog come up out of the brush carrying a nice antler. To me antlers are some of the finest artwork there is in nature....they're like snowflakes....no two are exactly alike.

tjw

posted Hide Post
As a new member of this site I came across this discussion about the use of dogs for finding antlers. This led to the topic of using retrievers in the persuit of big game. I was accompanied by my Chesapeakes and my Labs during the pursuit of big critters for over 40 years. To date I have taken 10 majpr species of North American big game while accompanied by a canine companion. A number of my stories in my book "Buddies Afield Hunting and Fishing With Great Dogs Across North America" are accounts of big game pursuits in which a dog buddy was a major player.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sun June 28 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Member
Picture of Michael L. Moscowitz
posted Hide Post
Well how do your train them to find antlers? I like the idea. Heard of it but never put much thought into until now.

"Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it."
CH Silvercreek Murray Samuel (Murray) CGC, WDQ, MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
Westwind Whispering Cove (Larry) WDQ, MH *** (Murray's Son)
LPK Delaware River Whispering Cove** (Savage Sam, Son of FC Chester MH)
Westwind Whispering Cove Jay **(Murray's grandson, Larry's son)

Posts: 2456 | Location: New Haven, Ct. U.S.A. | Registered: Fri May 30 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Member
Picture of Paul Gilmore
posted Hide Post
play fetch with the antlers as a pup. Really easy. We went hiking into elk winter range country about 3 weeks ago and found 7 sheds 6+ points and 4 other rag horns. His dog found 6 or 7 of the ones we got.

Paul
Empire's Honey Ryder aka Honey CBR F 4-18-2013
Crossfire's Empire Builder SH aka Ty CBR M 2-15-2009
GCH Breakwater Salutes USS Maddox SH aka Kaie CBR F 10-27-2006
RIP:Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0 CBR F 2-19-2002 - 09-26-2006
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.--Gerald Ford

Posts: 1592 | Location: Washington | Registered: Tue February 19 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post